Monday, August 2, 2010

My new favorite eggs


We have been going through a lot of eggs these days. Silas ate three hard boiled eggs in one sitting the other day and it makes me wonder if I need to be worrying about high cholesterol in a four year old...My favorite preparation, however, is poached-fried. Yes, you heard me. Poached-fried. As Jay says, they have more flavor than poached and don't have the icky crispy bits of a fried (I happen to like the crispy bits myself). I am delighting in the fact that these are a hundred times easier than poached eggs to make and (I think) just as tasty! Be prepared to whip these up for your own Egg McMuffins (for both of my pregnancies, there were many nights I would cry at 8pm because McDonald's doesn't serve breakfast all day), Benedicts, just on toast, or as we ended up having tonight, on top of sauteed swiss chard with garlic.

Poached-fried Egg
1 egg
non stick cooking spray
ice cubes
non-stick cooking spray

Heat a small skillet over medium heat. Pull away from heat and spray with cooking spray (I have a big fear of cooking spray-open flame explosions). Return to heat and break egg into skillet. Allow to cook just until edges are slightly set (30 seconds to a minute). Add ice cubes to skillet (about 1/4 cup ice cubes or around four cubes. Cover and allow egg to steam in the melting ice cubes. Cook until yolk has reached desired doneness (we like ours cooked all the way through, about five minutes). Remove from skillet and salt and pepper to taste.

1 comment: