Monday, September 13, 2010

California Veggie-Cheese Soup


Not sure how it happened, but a stomach bug has felled the three men in my life.  The Baby's mostly recovered, the First Born was incredibly pitiful all day today (got to watch t.v. for twelve hours straight if that gives you any idea!) and the Dear Husband (on his Birthday, no less!) is on his way home early from the Rockies game (I should probably add that I made him go).  Sad.

Probably not the most appetizing way to begin a post, but the point is that I was on my own for dinner tonight.  This means that not much cooking was in order, but a girl still had to eat, right?  I had half a package of California blend veggies left in the fridge from the other day (bought on sale for $.88 at King Soopers last week!) and since I could eat soup every day of the year, I felt it was necessary to turn the rest into soup.  It made enough for one mommy and one baby to end up very satisfied.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that all those veggies in the soup will be giving me all the immunity-boosting powers possible!    

California Veggie-Cheese Soup 
(makes one large or two small servings, feel free to expand proportions as needed)
1/2 of a 1 lb. package of frozen California blend vegetables (Broccoli, Cauliflower and Carrots)
1 cup chicken broth (or 1 cup water and 1 teaspoon chicken base or 1 cube bullion)
2 slices American cheese, torn into pieces (could also use 1/4-1/2 cup cubed Velveeta)
1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
2 tablespoons half and half
salt and pepper to taste

Cook the vegetables and broth in the microwave or stove top until vegetables are tender.  Using an immersion blender (or a plain old blender), puree soup to desired smoothness (I like a few pieces of vegetables left for texture).  If using a blender, return to pan or microwavable dish.  Add cheese slices, garlic powder, salt pepper and half and half.  Stir to melt cheese and heat more, if necessary. Adjust seasonings as needed.  Easy peas-y.

note: you could also do this soup with just broccoli.  Broccoli cheese soup is actually one of my husband's favorites and gives me sweet memories of when we were first together and I would cook it for him.  Good times.

No comments:

Post a Comment