Saturday, November 6, 2010

Shortcut Dessert: Jam Thumbprint Cookies


It's that time of year again.  Time for the annual cookie exchanges.  Now, as much as I'd love to say that I slave over baking treats, it's not exactly true.  I don't remember if I've said this before on here, but I am definitely not a baker first.  Baking requires precision and measuring, two things I'm not especially fond of because I lack patience (and am always looking for ways to cut down on dirty dishes).  Thank heaven for boxed mixes.  This cookie recipe (and another I'm sure I'll share soon!) starts with a boxed mix and can be put together in single bowl but feels special enough for the holidays.  As long as you keep them on the under baked side, they're soft and squishy (my ideal cookie is always soft and squishy), almond-flavored sugar cookies with a little jam jewel in each center.  Bake up and exchange away (or keep them all to yourself)!

Short Cut Jam Thumbprint Cookies
1 box sugar cookie mix (suggested brand, Krusteaz)
1 egg
1 stick of butter, softened
1 teaspoon almond extract (or can substitute vanilla extract)
1/2 cup favorite flavor of jam or preserves (the classics would be raspberry or apricot)

Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  In a bowl, combine egg, butter and extract.  Stir in cookie mix to form a soft dough.  Drop by small spoonfuls (about 2 teaspoons) onto a cookie sheet placing dough about 2 inches apart.  Using a (clean) thumb, press down on the middle of the dough ball to form a little indentation.  Put a small spoonful (1-2 teaspoons) of jam in the middle of each indentation.  Bake at 375 just until cookies are set, 8-10 minutes. 

No comments:

Post a Comment