Thursday, April 28, 2011

Turkey Brie Panini

Alright, we probably ought to get something straight here.  Apparently, according to Wikipedia (which is ALWAYS right) Americans have a tendency to think that a panini refers only to a grilled sandwich.  Feeling a responsibility to not contribute to misconceptions I feel it's best to go on record that in Italy, a panini can refer to any form of sandwich (and if you want to get really technical, you'd really call one sandwich a "panino").  As for this sandwich, however, it falls right into the grilled panini stereotype.  But that is alright.  In fact, in my book, gooey melted brie layered with roasted deli turkey, crisp apple slices, tangy honey mustard and fresh spinach all grilled up in toasty French is a very good thing indeed!  In honor of my parents enjoying their time in France right now, I whipped up a French-inspired lunch.  Bon Appetit!

Turkey Brie Panini

For each sandwich (panino : ):
1 4-6 inch section of baguette, split (or two slices rustic-style bread)
1/2 teaspoon grainy mustard
1/2 teaspoon honey
1/2-1 oz brie cheese, thinly sliced
thinly sliced apple (I used Braeburn)
fresh spinach leaves
softened butter

Stir together mustard and honey.  Spread on inside of bread.  Layer turkey, apple slices, spinach leaves and brie.  Smoosh the sandwich together.  Spread a thin layer of butter on the outside of the sandwich.  Grill in a panini press until golden brown.

note: If I was at home and did not have my parents' fancy Griddler Gourmet at my disposal, I would've probably just grilled my sandwich in a skillet, flipping to brown on both sides.  Or, I may have dusted off the good ol' George Foreman grill (when he was "Knocking out the fat" was he thinking of making grilled cheese?). Or, if I was feeling really wild, I might've used the skillet,  loosely covered the sandwich with a layer of aluminum foil and then topped the sandwich with another skillet weighed down with some heavy cans to weigh it down and flatten the sandwich, flipping halfway through to brown both sides.  Panini press?  Who needs a stinkin' panini press?

2 comments:

  1. Sounds SO yummy! And I love the no-sandwich-press ideas!

    Also...thanks for humoring us language snobs with the panini/panino comments. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Meg! Miss you guys--hope you're settling in nicely!

    ReplyDelete