Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Virgin "Mojito" Slush


It is definitely summertime!  With temperatures climbing and a thoughtful friend bestowing upon me a huge bunch of fresh mint, I had been thinking about the refreshing combination of lime and mint all the days I was laid up last week (I hurt my ankle due to an unfortunate run in with a trampoline).  There was not really any cooking to be had (read: rotisserie chicken was our very dear friend) and what little kitchen action that did happen was focused on shortcuts as I rolled around the kitchen on a trusty office chair.  At my soonest opportunity, I wheeled over to the blender and zipped up this quick version of a mojito flavored slushie.  I am not much of a drinker, so I omitted the rum that would officially make this a mojito, but that makes it an all-occasion and family-friendly treat (feel free to make it "grown up style," if you prefer).  As I was injured and lazy, this mojito slush is also missing some other more traditional elements: there was no lime squeezing and no "muddling of mint leaves with sugar," just the employment of easy, accessible limeade concentrate.  And, I actually liked that shortcut so much that even now when I am only slightly limping around my kitchen, I'm looking forward to using it again.   

Virgin Mojito Slush
serves 1 (feel free to multiply for additional servings)
2 ounces limeade concentrate
1 cup ice
5-7 fresh mint leaves
water or sparkling water as needed
fresh lime wedges and mint leaves for garnishing

In a blender, combine limeade concentrate and ice.  Pour in about 1/2 cup water or sparkling water (adjust liquid amount to desired consistency).  Add mint leaves.  Blend on high until slushy or mixture reaches desired consistency.  Pour into glasses and garnish with mint leaves and lime wedges.

3 comments:

  1. This looks so delicious! Please stop by www.laughloveandcraft.com and link up to my Share the Wealth Wednesday Link Party!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds so good!! Would be great on a hot summer day!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is the perfect way to beat the heat!! I LOVE it although I am guessing my friends will be adding the booze within minutes of me serving it!! :)

    This would be perfect for my Foodie Friday linky party - stop by this week and link up!

    ReplyDelete