Sunday, July 31, 2011

Thoughts on The Next Food Network Star Episode 8

This picture has absolutely nothing to do with the post.  It just makes me smile.
I thought while I'm (possibly--not going to make promises I might not deliver) writing more thoughts on the challenges of episodes 4-7, I might as well have one that is (somewhat) current while it is fresh in my mind and not completely obsolete.

The Next Food Network Star Episode 8:

Camera Challenge: Make a cupcake that represents you.

Don't get me wrong, I love cupcakes, but I'm kind of ready for a new food trend...anyone else? 
I would definitely make a cupcake that includes my Grandma Kaye's Fudge Frosting because it's a family recipe and I've learned so much about cooking from the women in my family.

I'm pretty sure I would make a version of these Boston Cream Cupcakes.  I'm quite in love with them these days since they are tasty and look so cute.  That said, this challenge makes me think I should probably memorize a cake recipe from scratch.  I'm guessing they wouldn't let me doctor up a cake mix (as I usually like to do) and you can't refer to any recipes while you're in the competition. 

Star Challenge: Go on the Rachael Ray Show and present a make over of a traditional family dinner 
I randomly drew Chicken Stir Fry
I would make something like Make Shift Mu Shu Pork with Broccoli Slaw
This is a great healthy recipe (hooray for broccoli slaw!) that is quick (especially with the tortilla version), easy and very family friendly. 

(an idea for Chili was the first thing that popped into my head and although I didn't draw that one, I thought I'd share it.  I didn't brainstorm a dish for the others...)

Chili: I would make a Tamale Pie-like recipe where chili would be on the bottom and then it would be topped with cornbread and baked.  Like Vic's recipe, it would be great to mention that this would be a great use for leftover chili.  I think knowing that this challenge is for the Rachael Ray show (queen of 30 minute meals), I would want to make a recipe that was easy, accessible and family friendly. 

1 comment:

  1. I knew you would get hooked on the show. Miss you. Yes, memorize a cake mix recipe for when you are a contestant. Look how many times that one guys' cake recipe has flopped.

    ReplyDelete