Sunday, October 10, 2010

Recipe Mash Up: Breakfast Burritos



I know I am not alone when I say that I really enjoy the t.v. show, "Glee."  I especially love episodes that have song mash up's--when they take a couple familiar songs and combine them in a clever way.  This is what I would consider a mash up of some of the recipes I've posted in the past, and thus, this post has links galore (cleverness, I guess could be debated, but deliciousness is a sure bet!).



I was inspired by these really awesome, all natural, frozen burritos called "Evol" ("Love" spelled backwards, isn't that cute?) that are made in Boulder and sold in my local grocery store (King Soopers).  They have one that is eggs, potato and vegetarian green chile and I think I could eat one every day and never grow tired of them.  Except that they're really not that cheap.  Not even when they're on sale.  So I felt very fortunate that I had everything to make them on my own (and, I was pretty happy to be using up a lot of leftovers since it was the end of the month and we were cleaning out the fridge to go out of town). 

Finally, I will qualify that I made homemade tortillas simply because we were all out of packaged ones and there was no way I was going to the store to get just tortillas.  Although I do like to make things from scratch, I was not being the "Southwestern June Cleaver" on principle, rather necessity.  Feel free to use the pre-made ones in peace. 

Breakfast Burritos
(note, there are not really specific quantities given, just suggestions and then you can multiply based on servings needed--or divide, perhaps, based on how much leftovers you have to go into the filling!).

Homemade tortillas or packaged ones  (1-2 per person)
Leftover pinto beans (1-2 tablespoons per burrito)
Leftover green chile (1-2 tablespoons per burrito)
1-2 small potatoes
1 tablespoon oil
salt and pepper to taste
eggs (1/2 - 1 egg per burrito)
shredded cheese (about 1 tablespoon per burrito)
pico de gallo 
sour cream

Quick directions: Cook the potatoes (see notes).  Scramble the eggs (see notes).  Reheat beans and green chile.  Combine all ingredients as desired in a tortilla, fold and eat.  For folding instructions, you can refer to a Chipotle napkin.  : )

Potatoes: Scrub potatoes thoroughly and poke several holes in each using the tines of a fork.  Microwave potatoes until tender (about 4-5 minutes, depending on size of potatoes--just keep an eye on them).  Remove and allow to cool enough to handle.  Dice into bite sized pieces (leaving skin on, if you like).  In a large skillet, heat oil over medium high heat.  Scatter potatoes in a single layer and allow to brown, turning occasionally and seasoning with salt and pepper.  Once potatoes are brown, remove from skillet and set aside.  Wipe out skillet with a paper towel and set aside.

Scramble the eggs.  However you like to do them.  There seems to be many different opinions on how to best scramble eggs.  What kind of heat (fyi...with minimal disturbance, higher heat will produce more omelet-like eggs and lower, slower cooking will make them more "custard-y")?  What kind of method to grease the pan?  How big should the "curds" (which in my opinion is a rather unappealing word) be?  Cheese (I have a hard time eating scrambled eggs or hamburgers without cheese)?
Here's my favorite way, in case you were wondering...
Break the eggs into a glass measuring cup and beat with a fork until whites and yolks are completely blended.  Add a little bit of water (about a teaspoon per egg or so...there seems to be a great debate about whether to add milk or water to eggs and I firmly believe in water to make them fluffier), salt and pepper and mix again.  Heat a skillet over medium high heat and swirl a little butter across bottom of skillet to grease.  Pour eggs in and allow to set for a few seconds.  Slowly and very occasionally, push parts of the set eggs toward the center and tilt the pan to let the more liquid parts run over the surface of the skillet, trying to handle as little as possible.  When eggs are almost set, remove from heat, sprinkle with shredded cheese and cover for a minute to allow cheese to melt.  Breakfast, or breakfast burritos in this case is served...

Finally, and I hope this goes without saying, but vary the filling to your taste and what you have on hand (jarred salsa? meat? don't like beans? it's ok!).

No comments:

Post a Comment