Thursday, February 16, 2012

Chili's Copycat Salsa


I am sure I have previously mentioned the fact that my husband is a salsa addict.  The man cannot get enough of the stuff and gets a little um, concerned when we happen to be out of it.  I, personally, am a salsa snob, but when it's good, I prefer more salsa than chip.  One salsa we can both agree on is the salsa from Chili's restaurant (which we especially enjoy on "Kids Eat Free Night" where we sit in the bar area during Happy Hour specifically because of the free chips and salsa...we're such cheapskates...). 


Since we don't eat out that often, and salsa is a staple in our house as well, I was pretty excited when I saw how easy the salsa could be to recreate at home.  I was even more excited/surprised to see how great of a salsa can come from canned tomatoes.  Knowing how much salsa we can go through, I have a feeling this will be in our regular rotation.


Chili's Copycat Salsa
2 cans whole or diced tomatoes, well-drained
1/4 cup white onion, cut into small chunks
1/2-1 small (4oz) can diced jalapenos (I went closer to half and it had a nice kick)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder (or more to taste)
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2-1 teaspoon coarse salt, to taste
1 teaspoon sugar
1 tablespoon freshly squeezed lime juice
1/4 cup fresh cilantro leaves (optional, Chili's doesn't actually put cilantro in but I love the green color and fresh taste it adds)

Combine all ingredients in a blender or food processor and blend or pulse until mixture is almost smooth.  Taste and adjust for seasonings.  Serve with tortilla chips. 
 
Recipe slightly adapted from: Six Sisters' Stuff

1 comment: